Friday, October 15, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

So, I complain, like, a lot about school. I'm too old. I'm too fat. OMG is it over yet?! I realized this the other day when I was walking around campus (I had appointments on different sides of campus-- much walking was involved). As I actually looked around, I noticed there is much more I like about school than I let on. Yes, I'm older than most people (even professors) on campus, but while they have youth or a degree, I have a family. I have a kick-a$$ husband and two amazing children, great family and true-blue friends, AND I will soon have my degree. So, I have decided to enjoy the ride: to take my eyes off the ground and look around a bit. Breathe. I'd like to share a few of my favorite places around campus. These things make hot pants and see-through tops SO much more bearable.
How awesome is this? "The half of knowledge  is to know where to find knowledge." The first time I met my adviser I thought, "I get to take classes here?" Beautiful, right? Other colleges I've transferred from are less than visually stimulating. FSU is truly an aesthetic university. The more I explore it, the more beauty I find.


Soak in the irony. Sidewalk chalk defames everything concrete with uplifting jargon, "You're special!" "You're beautiful!" I'm seeing all this walking to the library thinking, "Is this some crazy stunt by a fraternity or sorority? What the hell?" Then, I exit the library later (to warm up...brrr!) and sit down in one of the designated smoking zones to find THIS on the table. I know you can't see it, but those cigarettes are Parliaments. Coincidence? I think not.

A chance to flaunt my parallel parking prowess. Yes, I was parked in a tow away zone. Yes, it was also a fire zone. But note! I was the last one to park there. And, I had a test. And, I was nervous the whole time they would tow my a$$. (That counts, right?) And, when I left, someone asked me (pleaded with me) if I was leaving and could they have my space-- that's how bad parking is at FSU. Before every home game a minimum of two emails is sent to each student telling them to get their cars moved so football fans can utilize them. Basically, it's so bad, I park 4-5 blocks away after I drop my kids off at 8:00 a.m. to be able to get a parking space for my 11 a.m. class!!! But I count the blocks as exercise. :)




As in New York City, there is a Starbucks on every corner of campus. Today, the Starbucks IN the library was out of soy milk. After I thought for about 5 minutes in front of the barista, "Ummmmmmm........" I simply walked to another one, which had soy milk delivered this morning. Score. I'm still sort of bitter that Joe has a Starbucks in the College of Medicine. (They get so much good $hit!) But hey, he doesn't have stained glass. Being artsy has it's perks.


This is one of my favorite parts of campus. This sea-serpent-lochness-thing that actually winds its way through the grass. This is just it's head. This makes me smile. What also amuses me is that someone took the time to paint a pencil-thin mustache on him. See the nostrils? Right below them is a little twirly mustache that, if he had fingers, he would twirl them between. Eeeeexcellent...
Now for my absolute favorite. My little nook in the library. Like I said, I get there about 8:30 and have to stick around 'til 11a.m., otherwise I'll never find a parking space, and I can't handle a panic attack every day. Check out my Elicium: there's a plug to the left (my left) for my laptop. The chair is cushy yet firm with wood arms so I can balance a yogurt. I'm alone and things are quiet. PLUS, this particular chair is in the section on European wars: Crusades to WWII. Awesome.

All this to say, let's focus on the positive and stay in the present and all that jazz. Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment