Monday, May 2, 2011

Artistic/Autistic

So, many many years ago, my cousin was tested for Autism. When questioned about it, my aunt said, "I don't know why they think he is autistic, he doesn't even like to draw." (Get it...autistic/artistic?) So, whenever I hear the word "artistic", my brain goes right to that family memory and then spirals downward into my son truly being autistic. Then I chuckle, thinking, "He really doesn't like to draw, either." Today, as I sat making a picture schedule, hoping my son would be into it, I thought of all the many things he DOES do artistically.
I usually walk into his room to see something like this-- a menagerie of his animals in different poses, usually organized by kingdom, phylum, class, etc.
We spend our Fridays nights doing stuff like this. Want an insider's tip? Buy stock in Scotch tape.
I was somewhat impressed by the fact that out of "400 Reusable Stickers", he noticed that the only kind of animal missing was the kangaroo-- which we had to cut off the front and tape to the wall. :)

So, though other artist work in oils or clay, my son works in "animals". :)

2 comments:

  1. Your son is awesome. Hug him for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! You'll freak out he's grown so much.

    ReplyDelete