Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Simple Chicken Mole with Cilantro Rice


...emphasis on the "simple", 'cause this is mole minus all the pistil and mortar hoopla. You can say what you want to about Paula Deen, but the woman simplifies things that don't need a lot of attention. If canned tomatoes work-- use 'em. If you can use pre-ground cumin-- do it. Plus, I had to use this recipe 'cause it's probably the only Paula recipe sans butter. Enjoy!
GATHER
2 TB olive oil
medium onion
3 cloves garlic
2 TB chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 16oz can diced tomatoes
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 10oz can chicken broth
2 TB peanut butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 chipotle peppers, chopped
4 chicken breasts
toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (I bought them, and forgot them. Oops.)
white rice
cilantro

FRY
onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil 'til translucent
ADD
spices and chocolate. Stir until combined

ADD
tomatoes and cook about 10 minutes to let flavors marry

SEAR
chicken breasts on both sides

PREHEAT 
oven to 350 and remove sauce from heat

PUREE
sauce in a blender or food processor
SPREAD
a layer of sauce in a baking dish

PUT
the chicken breasts on top of first layer and cover with remaining sauce
BAKE
uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour
WHILE
the chicken mole is cooking, cook the rice according to package directions
CHOP
fresh cilantro into itty bitty pieces

ADD
cilantro to rice AFTER it is cooked-- otherwise you'll end up with green rice ;)

SERVE
the chicken and sauce over the rice and garnish (like I forgot to) with pumpkin seeds
SAVE
extra sauce (I froze mine) for enchiladas or to put over eggs, etc. NOMS!


9 comments:

  1. I've never made mole because it seemed so hard. Yours looks so good and you make it look very easy! Thanks for the inspiration:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I like your blog very much!
    Now I'm also following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of making mole because reading the list of ingredients alone makes me tired already. I think this is a really clever way to simplify the dish. It sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and I LOVE cilantro! Great combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to make mole last night and chickened out. Bookmarking this to try - it looks approachable and DELICIOUS! Chocolate and PB are my favorite combo... even better if it can work as dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Great recipe! Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! This is a mole dish I would actually make! I'm a firm believer if it tastes good - it's a good recipe...it doesn't have to be complicated to be delicious! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a delicious dish! Wish I had everything in the kitchen to make this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had mole in years -- I've never made it myself -- too much trouble -- but this one looks doable! Thanks for posting. And yes, the leftover mole sauce on eggs sounds positively heavenly!

    ReplyDelete