Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grandma's Poppyseed Bread

My mom and grandma at a random department store. They were demonstrating the "new" Polaroid cameras. :) I love this picture 'cause my grandma looks kinda fierce (ferosh, faboosh), though I now know she's just pissed they cut in on her shopping.
If I may say so, my grandma was completely awesome. Not your stereotypical grandma (round and saccharine sweet), she was tall and thin, yet she ate like a field hand (probably because she spent a lot of her life as one). The two things that come to my mind when I think of my grandma are accessories (she always had the purse/shoes/scarf/jewelry to match everything--even her night dress was matched with her slippers and "house coat") and her voice (a smoker from Oklahoma, she could make any one syllable word into a slightly raspy 12 syllable word). Oh yeah, and besides all this awesomeness: she loved her family and she was always proud of what we did, like, to the point of tears. I thought about her a lot while I was making this poppyseed bread to bribe give to my kids' new teachers at open house today and remembered what a great lady she was. Miss ya, Grandma. :)

GATHER

FOR THE BREAD
3 cups unsifted flour
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Eggs
1 1/8 cooking oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 tsp butter extract (not to be confused with butter-- buy this next to the almond extract)
2 1/2 TBSP Poppy seeds

FOR THE GLAZE
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter extract
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

PLACE
all dry ingredients in a bowl.
MAKE
a "well" in the middle and then dump all wet ingredients in there. (These are technical terms, btw.)

GREASE
loaf pans or mini bunt pans, or even mini loaf pans. (These make fantastic gifts.)

MIX
all the ingredients together. Mixture can still be a bit lumpy, 'cause it's quick bread, and quick bread is cool like that.

FILL
loaf pans. I doubled the recipe and it filled all this! (For real-- people will want this once they've tasted it, so make lots.)
BAKE
at 350 for one hour if using loaf pans. Mini-bunts or mini loafs go about 30 minutes.

WHILE
those beauties are baking, mix up your glaze (ingredients above).

COOL
bread for 10 minutes, then glaze. 

COOL
completely (and let all that glaze-y deliciousness soak in) and then pop them out and into saran wrap or ziploc bags

TASTE!
For quality assurance. :)

12 comments:

  1. that photo is so cute! and these bread looks delicious with all the shiny glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories of your Grandma! Totally should have thought of bringing something to my son's teacher. Oh well - hopefully she likes him anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread does look amazing here, nice tribute to your grandma. She would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, deliciousness. Your mom is adorable in that photo and your grandma does look mighty fierce.

    I think I'm just having a down day. It's nice knowing other people have been through the same things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never go wrong with Grandma's recipes! These look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your grandma stories! And this looks like one amazing bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The poppy seed bread looks amazing and I love grandma stories... don't they always have the BEST recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't grandmas the best? And their recipes too! This sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!!! This recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing makes food taste better than family history. I think Proust was on to something...

    Anyways! The recipe looks delicious and I love that old Polaroid photo of your family - classic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The old butter up the teachers trick...I employ that one as well! It can't miss with this poppyseed bread!

    ReplyDelete