Friday, August 19, 2011

Sausage and Peppers Melts


The meal started as spaghetti with sausage and peppers (one of my favorites) and descended into different sandwiches fit to each of our picky tastes. I initially revved up the stove for my son, who usually has ne'er a vegetable pass his lips--except spaghetti sauce (you can hide a LOT of vegetables in there. NOTE: Spinach looks just like basil. Muhaha.). But, as I started the water boiling, my son insisted on asked for chicken nuggets instead. The cogs in my brain started to turn, "Joe doesn't like red sauce. I don't have to have noodles. What ELSE can I do with all this? Subs would be nice. Don't have rolls. AH! An open-faced sandwich!" So, here is my necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention (fantastic) sandwich.
GATHER
Onions
Peppers
Red sauce (don't judge-- Hunt's has no HFC and it's cheap)
Can o' beer (don't hate on my crappy beer-- it's just for cooking)
Sausages
Bread of choice (I used sourdough) or Noodles
Mozzarella cheese (or provolone would work nicely, as well)

BOIL
the sausages in beer. I suppose you could do this in water or broth but my husband's German and I'm Irish, so beer is inevitable.

CUT
all the ingredients into bite-sized pieces (nothing worse than getting a long, slimy pepper slapping you in the face)

SAUTEE
them all 'til they start to brown a bit

TOAST
bread and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet

PLACE
sausage mixture on toasted bread (the middle one's for my daughter, who probably wouldn't dig peppers and onions)

SPOON
some sauce on there (if you so desire. My husband, who's a freak, doesn't like red sauce too much.)

SMOTHER
in cheese. (Need I say more?)

BROIL
'til golden brown

Melissa's version--
Sausage "pizza" toast points

Joe's version--
Sausage, peppers n cheese sandwich (no sauce)

MY version--
sausage, pepper and onions, sauce-y open-faced cheesy goodness with peperoncini's. Noms.

11 comments:

  1. Sausages in beer is the perfect marriage. I wish I had thought of then when cooking mine last weekend. Next time!

    I think you sandwich looks the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I could totally go for a yummy sandwich like this one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love sausage! What a great sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!

    I'm slowly getting the boyfriend used to eating peppers. I buy a pack of the stoplight peppers every time we go to the store and cook them with everything - it seems to be the only vegetable for which I actually have many uses for. He says that he hates peppers, but he ends up eating them almost every night and enjoys them, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a colourful recipe! Love the shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I love, love, LOVE when you start somewhere and end up in a new direction AND it's fantastic! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound freakin awesome! I love it and would totally enjoy one of these melts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that cheese won me over! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete