Tuesday, September 13, 2011

As promised...


As promised, let the geekery begin with my first ever Talk Nerdy to Me Tuesday post! I am attempting to read 52 books in a year (before my next birthday). What prompted such an idea? This book:
I just happened to be in Borders looking for my good friend, Meagan's, birthday gift and I stumbled upon this. Admittedly it was Tolstoy's name that caught my eye. I love Russian Lit, though I have never finished a Russian text (be for real-- they're LOOONG). So, when I picked this up and it said something about, "The perfect gift from one bookworm to another," I thought-- "Sweet!" I was intrigued, though. "I'll just see how it starts before I mail it off." Well, you know the rest of the story. I finished it instead. The book is a mini memoir  of Sankovitch's life after the untimely death of her sister. (She read a book a day for a year!) I cried and laughed-- that kind of thing. As I read:

"Literature becomes an escape, not from, but into living." ~Cyril Connolly

...I thought of a discussion I had recently with another good friend about going through the grieving process when one has a special needs child: how it's not like you have a sick child who will get better over the weekend, but a child that you'll be dealing with his difficulties for the rest of his life. When I was younger, I escaped out of life through literature, which wasn't exactly healthy. Now, I plan to find similarities with others, change and grow in the year to come.


What books were your favorite as a kid?
Do you think you could read a book a day for a year? (I read WAY too slow!)

3 comments:

  1. I love books, almost too much! My favorite books as a kid were anything by Roald Dahl, and Little Women. And nope couldn't read a book a day, nor would I want to. There are some books that you need to savor. I'll read a page many times if it resonates with me, I wouldn't want to rush through a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books and adore reading! I read romances, tho...which is great fun, but not deep reading! If I had the time and someone could cook and clean, I'd easily read a book a day! I really like the idea of a book a week and look forward to this series!

    I read trashy romances, but the two books that struck me when I was younger was the biography of George Washington Carver and a novel called "The Second Son". Odd reading for a young adult, but there you have it!

    Now, I spend a good portion of my day reading and commenting on blogs. It is it's own good read and I find I enjoy that just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted that quote from The History Boys. That is a feeling I've felt so many times. It's always kind of magical -- and it makes you feel less alone in the universe. I'm such a bookie -- it's hard for me to understand those who don't read! As a kid, I read The Babysitters Club all the time! One of my favorite books of all time is Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. Okay, now I'm all inspired to write a favorite books of all time blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete