Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guinness Stout Brownies

Though my Irish ancestors are tumbling in their graves as I type this-- I'm not the biggest fan of Guinness. At least, not as a beverage of choice. But, add it to other flavors and it just seems to round them out perfectly. Pot roast, for example, is super-de-dooper easy and flavorful with a Guinness and onions in the crockpot. So, when I saw these Guinness Stout Brownies I thought they were just the thing to try for my birthday. (Can you tell we draw the birthday thing out in our house-- well, perhaps just me.) Anyway...they were a big hit. Very rich and much like a flourless chocolate cake, which I was hoping for!

Guinness Stout Brownies

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup white chocolate, chopped
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 bottles Guinness Extra stout beer
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil, or regular foil, lightly greased.
 Pour both bottles of beer into a medium saucepan, and simmer on medium heat until it's reduced down to 1 1/4 cups. If you keep a glass measuring cup nearby, you can check the progress when you think you're close. It should take about 15 minutes. Leave the beer on the side to cool.
 In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt until evenly combined.
 Melt butter, bittersweet chocolate and white chips in a double-boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat. (You can also do this in the microwave, heating it on high and stirring every 30 seconds).
 In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add melted chocolate mixture, beating until combined.
 Beat reserved flour mixture into melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in the reduced beer mixture and the vanilla. The batter will seem a bit thin, but it will be perfect. Pour into the prepared baking pan and drop semisweet chocolate chips evenly on top of batter.
 Bake 25 - 30 minutes on center rack in the oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. 

 Let brownies cool, uncovered, to room temperature. Dust with confectioners' sugar if you feel the need.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I agree totally about Guinness as a beer. It's much too strong for me to drink. I'm drawn to your brownies though because that strong molasses flavor would be outstanding in these. They look so chewy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guiness stout brownies sound delish!! I bet it would add a nice depth of flavor. These sound great for a tailgate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a huge Guinness fan, but in brownies like these I think I can manage :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, what a fun and festive recipe! I'll bet the deep and rich Guinness flavors work easily into dark and delicious chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would SO love these. I was lucky enough to have some artisan chocolates once and one of the truffles was a stout truffle. Stout and chocolate are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much of the Guinness flavor is baked out or covered by the chocolate? In general we do not like alcohol in my house.

    ReplyDelete