Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday Thankfulness

Today, as I sat writing in my journal, I began to make yet another list. Hey, it happens. This time, it was not a to-do list, or a shopping list or even a things-I-may-forget-to-worry-about-so-I-need-to-remember-to-worry list. It was a "things that make me really happy" list. I laughed at myself when I read it over. Right under all the essentials: Nuclear family, Friends that keep me grounded but love me for me, and good health was-- coffee.

I have always loved coffee. In fact, my mother hated coffee 'til she became pregnant with me, and then she couldn't get enough. So, you could say I was caffeinated in-utero (no wonder I worry so much).

I even married a guy named Joe, just so there's no embarrassing moments when I climax while drinking a pumpkin spice grande latte. (It helps that he's my favorite person on the planet, too.)

I've even read about the history of coffee, though it's somewhat hazy: everyone wants to take credit for a beverage this amazing. But, no matter where it came from, it was perfected in Italy. It was in Italy that I bought my first espresso maker (a little stove-top job) and LOTS of espresso (my only souvenirs).

Even though coffee and I go way back, barista's  and I do not. I still remember a snot-nosed Starbucks employee giving me the once-over when I asked for a double espresso. "Um, like, you know eXpresso is really strong, right?" "Yes. Why?" "'Cause you just don't look like you know coffee." When will the world learn you don't have to be a hipster to drink cappuccino's? And, when will we all join hands across America and get the point across:
But enough of bad memories, because I have plenty MORE good memories about coffee: pumpkin spice lattes in the fall, gingerbread lattes in the winter, iced lattes in the summer (noticing a trend?). My go-to everyday coffee, though, is a dark roast- half decaf and half caf (I know, I'm a traitor, but this way I can drink more cups without feeling like I'm floating) with a dollop of soy milk. Basically, the world does not begin until this elixir of life burns my throat awake. Coffee is serious business, and I'm very very thankful for it.

What's your ultimate fav coffee?
What's your everyday go-to coffee?

5 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHA! So its safe to say we both love coffee! =) Happy National Coffee Day love! mwah!

    ahhh being able to stalk your bloggy rocks! i've missed you during my interweb-less-hibernation! hehe =) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, great post to celebrate such a glorious day! My favorite go-to coffees are usually seasonal flavors by Barnie's Coffee. But, I just recently discovered Godiva coffee and it's pretty awesome, I just wish it came in whole bean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you are hysterical! I love it! The pumpkin spice latte is my favorite, but since I developed an allergy to cinnamon, I have to abstain (no calling out names with that one - if I drink it all I can do is gasp "911"!)

    So...now I enjoy the eggnog lattes during the holidays. But I mostly drink the classic cappuccino...

    You really are SO funny - I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love half caf too! French Roast and decaf French Roast. My favorite is Peet's coffee from the Bay Area, but I'm too cheap to order it online, so I indulge in a couple of cups at my sister-in-law's....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ultimate fave is a cup with shot of Godiva chocolate liqueur (white or regular), a small scoop of ice cream (pick your flavor), and a little bit of freshly grated nutmeg on top. For every day it's a cafe au lait slightly sweetened.

    ReplyDelete