Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Unleash the Night

Confession time: I've never read a romance novel. Seriously. At 31 years of age, it was definitely time. So, since my friend, Elise, is an avid reader of (though not limited to) this genre, she let me borrow a couple of her books.

Admittedly, I've never really been interested in this category of books. Call me repressed or whatever, but it's just never been my thing. (I always kind of picture Fabio slipping in I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.)

NOTE: This is not pretentiousness on my part. Shakespeare wrote the "smut" of his day and he's the poster child of English Literature. 
....and we all know how I feel about Shakespeare.  [gag.]

But, my friend assured me that this line of books actually has plot, not just thrusting and throbbing. I must say, the book delivered more than just "the usual" I'd expect from erotic literature: time travel, Greek gods and were-people are always page-turners for me. If nothing else, Sherrilyn Kenyon is to be admired for the sheer volume of novels she's written-- most of which are on the New York Times best seller list. Apparently, I am definitely in the minority with my tastes. So, as with Shakespeare, though it's not really my genre of choice, I can appreciate it and it's authors for their innovation and thoughtfulness.

2 comments:

  1. Funny - I used to love romance novels in high school and haven't picked up once since. It can be find to read something "mindless" on occasion though.

    Sade note: I was also addicted to the Flowers in the Attic series. I was a weird kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my sister read the Flowers in the Attic series. At any rate, I remember seeing them, but being too afraid to read them. I thought they were horror novels, and I'm a complete weenie. lol

    ReplyDelete